"Users don't have access to this list" error

Sep 30, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Hi Christian,

We're excited about the possibilities with this Taxonomy Extensions tool. Followed the install steps. If I'm in a library's "create column" page, I see the option to create an "MCCTreePosition" column. When I select the radio button for that, I get the following error.

1. Can you help me resolve this error?
  2. Is there any other place I should now be able to interact with your tool? Or is it just creating this new column and then configuring it?

Thanks,
John

Error I get after selecting the radio button for MCCTreePosition:

Users don't have access to this list.   at ipi.MCC.Global.Functions.GetTreeList(SPWeb spwRoot)
   at ipi.MCC.Controls.MCCTreeStartPositionControl.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Coordinator
Oct 1, 2009 at 7:25 AM

At frist step, please activate the „IPI Multi Category Center “-Feature (“Multi Category Center” was the original name of the TaxonomyExtensions) in your SiteCollection.

After you have activated the feature, go into the library, you want to activate the TaxonmyExtensions. In the library, at the menu “Settings” now you get the entry “Multi Category Center”. With this entry, you can enable and disable the Extensions in that library. When you click on the entry, you come to a new page. In this page is only one button, where you can activate or deactivate the Extensions. With the activations of the Extensions, one column will be added to the library. Now you can use the TaxonomyExtensions.

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Christian,

We have activated and enabled the feature in our particular library.  When looking at the document library settings we see the column name (Katoegorien) which is what we expected.  The question then becomes how would we actually use the taxonomy extensions to have a document in one library and point that document to another library?

Thanks

Ben

Coordinator
Oct 1, 2009 at 6:53 PM

I hope, there is no misunderstanding. With the TaxonomyExtensions, you can not link from one document library to another document library, that would be a simple lookup column.

With the MCCAdministration-Page you can create you taxonomy, that means, you can create you structure of categories. Now you can assign documents to this structure. Go to your document library and open one document in edit-mode. On the edit-page you can see your taxonomy. With checkboxes you can assign the current document to the nodes of your taxonomy.

I hope, I could help you a little bit.

Best Regards,

Christian Fluhrer

Oct 1, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Hi Christian,

I work with Ben whom you just answered, above...

Yes -- there is a misunderstanding, in that we really don't understand the exact step by step process whereby we can take advantage of the features you list on http://taxonomyextensions.codeplex.com/.

Is there any set of directions or instructions explaining exactly how we do the things you mention? Such as exactly where and in what fashion do we create the taxonomy and structure the categories so we can assign documents to it?

I opened a file from a library but don't see anything relating to the taxonomy. We are using Office 2003. Does it require 2007 in order to see the taxonomy while editing a document fom the library?

Thanks,
John

Coordinator
Oct 2, 2009 at 8:43 AM

Hi,

I'm sorry, but the only documentations are in German.

But the TaxonomyExtensions are quiet simple to you. To create your taxonomy and structure of categories, just go to your SiteActions-Menu (after you have activated the "IPI Multi Category Center") and use the "MCC Administration" entry. Then you get a new page, where you can create you structure.

To assign a document into the structure, activate the feature on your library ("Settings"-> "Multi Category Center"), then open the edit page of the document (context menu of the document -> "edit properties"). There you can see the structure you have build and with the checkboxes you can assign you document to the nodes of your structure.

> We are using Office 2003. Does it require 2007 in order to see the taxonomy while editing a document fom the library?

No, the TaxonomyExtension does not depand on one Office version. You can use it in SharePoint.

Best Regards,

Christian

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Thanks Christian -- getting closer to understanding and being able to use this.

> I'm sorry, but the only documentations are in German.

German language documentation is fine and would greatly help. I can get it translated. That would help me better understand the way this is supposed to work from beginning to end, so I can stop asking so many questions... Can you please post it here?

John